Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Bogus sentence in Target cart crime
In an update to a story I first reported back in November - in which two 12-year old juvenille delinquents shoved a Target shopping cart over a railing at East Harlem Plaza, hitting an Upper West Side real estate agent four stories below - one of the perps was assigned a sentence that is basically a slap on the wrist.
According to the NY Daily News, one of the boys was sent to a group home Tuesday for as little as six months. The sentencing came as a lawyer for cart victim Marion Hedges, 47, said that she is out of a coma and talking but is a “shadow of her former self.”
Family Court Judge Susan Larabee sent the now 13-year-old, referred to in court papers as "Jeovanni R" (actual name Jeovanni Rosario, as has been previously reported by various news outlets) to Graham Windham, a low-security therapeutic home in Westchester County, for a minimum of half a year and a maximum of 16 months. “He’s finally going to get help . . . I thank God for that,” Jeovanni's tearful mother, Rosemary, said.
As a reminder, the other assailant - Raymond Hernandez - did not plead guilty back in late November, and his case was adjourned. So in short, there is no real justice for the poor victim in this case.