Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday’s Rant: PVC shower curtain liners


On Tuesdays I usually take the opportunity to rant about something I do NOT like about Target …because although I love them to death, they certainly ain’t perfect. Today’s rant is about PVC shower curtain liners. Now back in April of last year, I wrote a post about Target taking action to reduce the usage of harmful PVC in their products. High on the list was shower curtain liners, which are commonly made entirely of PVC. Although not highlighted in my blog post, I specifically recall Target stating in an article that they would phase out most PVC by the end of 2008. Well guess what? That hasn’t happened. Out of over a dozen shower curtain liners I saw on the racks at the store last week, only one was EVA vinyl (and clearly marked that it did not contain PVC in either the product itself or the packaging) and one other was fabric (polyester). Now I’m not understanding this, especially since both were around the same price point ($10.99). The toxic consequences of the PVC liners has been widely reported, so why even offer the PVC ones at this point? While I do praise Target for making strides by offering the EVA and fabric ones as an option, they need to go the extra mile and remove the harmful ones from the store shelves.

No comments: