Monday, July 26, 2010

Product Review: Sonia Kashuk's Purple Haze Eyeshadow


As regular readers of this blog probably know, I'm a big fan of Sonia Kashuk's makeup. I adore her foundation, and I own several of her makeup kits (like this one) and have been very happy with them. So when I spied the "Purple Haze" Eye Shadow Quad in the store, I had to try it, even though I was a bit concerned by the "glitter factor". The colors looked divine, but I was afraid they might have too much sparkle. Unfortunately, my assumption was correct.

The Purple Haze palette is made up of two shades of contrasting purple: one true purple and one lilac, plus a pale grey and a darker charcoal shade. I will say that the shades are true to their colors and have a nice color pay off with all that sparkle (if you're into that sort of thing). But that's where the compliments end. Besides having too much shimmer (for my tastes, anyhow!) the texture is awful to work with and is best applied with sponge applicators (vs. a brush) to avoid major fall out and flaking. Meaning: a big purple mess of flakes on your cheeks as well as in your eyes (which for contact wearers like me is a total nightmare).

Curiously, this particular eye shadow quad is no longer available on Target.com, although I have still seen it in stores. Perhaps they received similar complaints to mine, and are re-formulating the product? One can only hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on the hunt for a sparkly shadow. My friend in Minnesota was telling me about Loreal's Studio. Do they sell it at Target and have you reviewed it?

Target Addict said...

Hi Uptownflavor! No, I haven't seen nor tried L'oreal's Studio shadow yet. I'll check out the L'oreal aisle the next time at Target and see if it's there.