Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednesday's Rave: Sonia Kashuk's Perfecting Luminous Foundation


A while ago I was on the hunt for a new foundation. My old favorite - Jane Iredale's Liquid Foundation - must have changed formulas, because suddenly it became "unpredictable" and would turn colors on my skin. Either that, or I ended up buying two bad batches in a row.

Since it had been ages since I had tried other brands, I headed to the beauty section of my local Target to see what was out there. I tested out several, including the latest formulas from the "big names" like L'oreal, Revlon, Maybelline and CoverGirl. But out of all of them, I fell in love with Sonia Kashuk's new Perfecting Luminous Foundation.

Now I realize that foundation is a very personal thing - and everyone's skin is different - but for me, this foundation is almost perfect. It provides excellent coverage, and gives me a beautiful, natural finish, to the extent that in the past few weeks I've actually gotten compliments on my skin! (which believe me, never happens). And even though Sonia's foundation is thicker than the Jane Iredale formula I used to use, I still feel like my skin can "breathe".

I was also lucky enough to find a color that matched my skin exactly (#03 Cream). As Sonia herself says on her blog: "The most important trick with foundations is to be sure you get the right color. If you are between shades go with the slightly warmer shade. Once you apply you should not see the color, it should blend right in."

Which leads to one teeny-weeny complaint I have with the product: it only comes in six shades, which is a pretty slim offering. That said, it's too bad Sonia didn't offer a wider array of shades to acomodate a broader range of skin tones.

1 comment:

Nichi said...

I bought this yesterday based on your post about Sonia's Blog. I usually use a MUCH more expensive brand, but I needed something warmer for the summer and I didn't want to blow $55 on something I would only use for 2 or 3 months. I bought #4 (Buff) hoping it would work.

I tried it out last night, so I was not able to see it in natural light yet, but I was pretty impressed with both the consistency of the pigment as well as the blendablity of the foundation. In my opinion, this is a mid to full coverage product yet it blended REALLY well and it didn't feel overpowering on my skin.

Since I haven't seen it in natural light yet, I cannot attest to the luminousity of the product, or the longevity of the color, but it was most certainly worth the $10+ I spent to get me through this summer.

Thanks for the heads up!!