Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday's Rant: Target's Up & Up sandwich bags


Today's rant is about Up & Up Double Zipper Sandwich Bags. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a box of these at Target. At about a buck cheaper than the brand-name competition, I figured I’d give ‘em a try. The box is colored orange and white, contains 100 bags, and they have blue and green colored zippered "teeth" along the top portion of the bag. Some other brands have their bags designed to change colors when the bags are secured closed, but these do not; the colors remain the same whether the bag is locked closed or still open.

So the box says they are great for snacks and lunches, and you simply "press to close". Only problem is, they don’t. The strip of “teeth” along the top are far thinner than my favorite brand (Ziploc) and what I think is happening is that the strip is so narrow that the teeth simply aren’t “catching”. The bags are really hard to get closed, even after repeated attempts to do so. I thought this might just be “me”….until my husband asked me to please not buy these bags anymore. And then I happened to mention this to my mom, who told me she had the very same problem. So we obviously aren’t the problem; the design of the bag is the problem. This is an epic fail on Target’s part, and I don’t care if I have to pay more – I want a bag that works.

7 comments:

Faygie said...

I buy these and have no problem closing them. However, I do find that they can be difficult to OPEN!

Tina said...

I always buy Target's Up and Up sandwich bags. I've never had a problem. Maybe you got a bad batch? I've got 3 different sizes and have never had problems.

Target Addict said...

Hmmmm....thanks for weighing in, Faygie and Tina. But I don't think I got a bad batch since my mom (who got her own box) had the same problem. Maybe it's because I'm just used to the ease of Ziploc bags. In any case, both me - and my mom - will be switching back to our favorite brand.

Kelly said...

I haven't had any issues with them, and this is what we usually use (unless Ziplock is on sale and comparable in price). I do notice that they are a little stiffer, but not enough to cause us any frustration.

Unknown said...

I agree, these bags are terrible. Definitely not worth buying these. They are terrible to close and you cannot tell if they are closed or open. I won't be buying these ever again.

Tiffanie P said...

I used about 15 of them to divide out chips into 1 oz bags. A week and a half later, every single bag of chips is stale, even though I was sure they were closed. These are great for quick storage, like for lunches you pack that morning, but for long term, stick to Zip Lock.

Unknown said...

I also find that they don't close well, and that it takes repeated attempts to get them to seal. WIll not buy them again! I have bought the Publix brand zipper sandwich bags and they work great.