Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Target launches "Shopkick" App

Starting today, Target guests with smart phones can earn points for shopping with shopkick, a free app available on iPhone and Android phones. Simply download shopkick from iTunes or Google Play, then open the app to see what offers and rewards (or "kicks") Target has in store for you.  When you visit a Target store, open the app to earn kicks automatically upon entry, then swing by the aisles to earn more kicks by scanning different products.  And upon checkout, simply show the barcodes you've scanned on your smartphone screen to the cashier to redeem. 

While this all sounds fabulous in theory, I wonder how many consumers will actually sign up for this program.  Most times I just want to "get in and out" of the store fast, and trudging out my smartphone, scanning things, and then having the cashier scan my scans at the register just seems like more trouble than it's worth.  What about you, readers?  Is this a program you'll sign up for?

4 comments:

bev said...

I'm not sure why this is new as I've been using Shopkick for a while now for Target as well as some other retailers (maybe they made it more official?) Getting points for walking in is easy as long as you remember to do it - it's the scanning of products to get more points that takes up a bit more time. My friend has been using it for years though and has racked up hundreds of dollars in gifts cards, so it's a good thing as long as you have the time and patience to do it!

Critifur said...

For gift cards I would try it! LOL

Target Addict said...

Bev: maybe Target is just "pushing" it now, even though it was introduced earlier.

The Frugal Stylist said...

For gift cards, free products and the such, I would take the time to scan. But, I gotta get something free out it.