Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What to buy (and NOT buy) at Target


Yahoo! Finance has published an interesting article from CBS Moneywatch on what to buy - and NOT to buy - at Target. You can check out the full article here, but please bear in mind this is THEIR opinion, not mine.

In short, they recommend you steer away from furniture, movies & music, exercise equipment, and shower curtains & some toys due to PVC concerns. I tend to agree with their assessment that movies, music & exercise equipment can be found at better prices elsewhere. As for furniture, I have only bought one item there - a chair to match a desk I found at a garage sale - and it's been terrific. The chair was easy to assemble, well priced, and has held up well. I would recommend that if you're planning to buy any furniture from Target, to first check their web site to see what sort of customer comments the piece has received.

Regarding the PVC concerns: I happen to disagree with the article. Target has made great strides in reducing (and trying to eliminate) the amount of PVC in their products. And actually, I was just there yesterday looking for shower curtains, and most (if not all) are now marked with "CONTAINS NO PVC" in large type on the front of the packaging.

The top 4 things they recommend you buy at Target are the Kindle (as they are the only national brick-and-mortar retailer to carry it), "green" cleaning products (due to the variety of choices they offer) and cosmetics. They also pick groceries, due to Target's expansion in that category. According to the article, Target now carries 70% of the things you would find in a full grocery store, at prices that are 10 - 20 percent less.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I do love their cosmetic selection! So at least I am in the know on one thing today!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

K10 said...

I'd rather spend the extra $4 on my copy of any DVD than have to drive across the street to Walmart. That whole store smells like a McDonalds, and that is one reason why I, too, am addicted to Target.