Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Missoni backlash....


The NY Times published an article late yesterday regarding Target's web site issues, calling it an "unusual fumble for the large retailer" as they were "unprepared for online shoppers’ hunger for the items." They report that on "Twitter and other social media sites, thwarted shoppers posted furious messages and commiserated about the site’s failure, with a few bragging that they had made it through in the brief periods that Target.com was working."

One shopper posted on Twitter: “Seriously so mad at @TargetStyle. Why did you not prepare for the Missoni for Target line?” And the actress Mindy Kaling (from The Office) posted “@target broke my heart today when I could not access their site once in 9 hours for Missoni.”

The site is back up today, but most items seem to be out of stock. And some items look like they're available, but when you go to put it in your online shopping cart, you get the error message "this item is out of stock online".

The article went on to cite complaints from consumers - as I've already been voicing here on this blog - about the rampant number of Missoni for Target items being resold on eBay at a huge markup. Case in point: 24 hours ago, there were about 270 Missoni for Target items on eBay. When I left work yesterday, that number had jumped to over 9,000. And now, a quick check shows the total at over 24,000. This is just plain wrong, IMO. And buyer beware if you bid on these items, as in checking these eBay listings I found that MANY are from sellers who have only 0-5 feedback ratings. Meaning: they clearly just set up an eBay account in the past few days, and only to cash-in on all the Missoni mayhem.

12 comments:

kayerikson said...

so I was at the Redwood city, ca target this morning at 8:15 and there was not a SINGLE piece in the store. All the end isle displays were covered up, it was like the Missoni line never happened. So sad! I had been in Mountain View the previous day around 10 and was able to snag the vases, a dress, blouse, boxes, baby clothes and the rain boots. Staff said that they were getting more stock that night, (thus my trip this morning) but after driving back to Mountain View, same story, not a single piece left. Apparently there was another frenzy that morning at 8:00. I feel so lucky I took lunch early yesterday and got what I did, the stuff really is beautiful. I just hope Target does a spring collection with Missoni in a attempt to make it up to all those dissapointed fans! I will NOT be buying on ebay, despite wishing I had got the murano voltives to match the vase.
BTW-HUGE fan of your bog. Please keep blogging!
:)

Michelle | Remy and Me. said...

I am a <3er of your blog too and read every single post. I made it to my Northern Cal Target at opening yesterday and got a lot of really great stuff. Beautiful and most of it really great quality for the price. Sad that Target was so unprepared. Very surprised they didn't know so many of us were really looking forward to the launch and many of the items!

Target Addict said...

Well howdy neighbor! Sounds like we both visit the same Target stores ;-)

Alas, there's nothing left, I know - at least not right now. A friend of mine left me a VM earlier today saying she, too, had tried the RWC Target today, and the only thing she saw was a couple of pairs of the brown suede pumps.

I'm toying with the idea of going back at 8am on Friday, just to see if they've received a new shipment by then. But I'd be fighting you for the same thing, because I too want the votives to match the vase!

Target Addict said...

Michelle, I agree; Target was unprepared and TOTALLY underestimated demand. Their VP of Communications was on The Today Show this morning, and basically couldn't (or wouldn't) answer the question as to whether stores would be restocked or not. Very frustrating!

Marie said...

So, I made it to a total of three small town Target stores. The stores are Target plus stores, but I am sure they didn't get the stock big cities did. They were pretty much stripped of Missoni, but did have some bedding and bath left. I managed to get some pieces at the stores too, after my 6 am victory. I cannot BELIEVE this madness, poor Calypso never had an ounce of this madness...

Penelope said...

Hi. Same thing here. It looked like a cyclone hit the South Tampa Target!

LOVE your blog!

shesgotSOLE said...

If there is anyone in the Madison, WI area, Target on the West Side has plenty of vases, frames in every size/color, hair accessories, lingerie, and even the blue maxi dress (size small too)! Oh, they have bedding left as well! I also saw the ceramic vases and dinnerware as of 10pm on 9/14/11.

Elizabeth said...

I've lost a lot of respect for Target, for not handling this promotion better than it did.
I went yesterday to see if they had restocked or if they had any returns dangling around. Nothing! They even took the clothing rack with the Missoni name off the floor. The only thing left at my Target were the signs hanging from the ceiling and end caps with Target brand items, where the Missoni should be.
Target has now become the wholesaler for eBay!!

Like I said in another comment, there should be a limit, like during the black friday sales!!

Target Addict said...

Elizabeth, I agree: there should be limits on how much one person can buy of these designer collabs. And my local store did the same thing: took down as much Missoni signage as they could, and restocked the areas with other in-house Target brands.

E. Clemens said...

I heard from a rather reliable source that, sadly, chances are that there will be no more shipments of Missoni clothing coming to stores.

There /might/ be a chance that stores will get (a bit) more of the non-clothing items and-or stuff that had yet to be delivered, but other than that... it was pretty much a one-time thing. :/

@eBay: That whole thing disgusted me, but at the same time I'm sadly not that surprised at what people will do to make an extra buck, especially in current times. If I had it my way, there would of been some manner of limiting (EXCESSIVE) quantities of the items being purchased, but unfortunately.... not exactly something feasible apparently.

Bah.

Critifur said...

Not one single item of any Missoni in Fort Lauderdale store. Not a sock or an eraser let alone a candle or duvet. Oh well. I wanted to take an up close look at the very least.

Tammy T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.