Saturday, June 7, 2008

Trading down from Target

Apparantly, the news is true: in today's challenging economy, more and more folks are trading down from Target to shop at Wal-Mart instead. I find it interesting that although Target and Wal-Mart are within just 1-3% of each other (price-wise) on many core items, consumers have a perception in their head that Wal-Mart is automatically going to be cheaper. Perhaps if they plastered tacky oversized price signs all over the store (like Wal-Mart does) consumers would "get it"; I don't know. What I DO know is that I'd rather shop at Costco or a discount grocery chain before setting foot in a Wal-Mart. Or, at least the one Wal-Mart that's within driving distance of my house (and the only one within a 20 mile radius). Perhaps Wal-Marts in middle-America are better, but the one in my area is dirty, messy, and downright seedy. So no thanks: I'd still pick Target over Wal-Mart any day of the week.

No comments: