Thursday, August 18, 2016

Trophy heads for kids? No thanks...

The Pillowfort line at Target recently rolled out some new wall decor, including "stuffed animal trophy heads" like this zebra (shown). It also comes in lion, giraffe, dog, cat, shark and unicorn options. I don't know about you, but as an animal lover, I find this offensive. Not to mention that it also would probably give my kids nightmares! I realize it's supposed to be cute and tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not buying it.

Target has actually been peddling all kinds of 'trophy heads' for a while now. I did a 'look for less' post on one last Fall, and in stores I keep seeing this cow head. While it's better than actual taxidermy, I'm still not a fan. How about you, readers?  Are faux animal trophies cool, or callous?

5 comments:

FishHawk said...

I'm with you. Time to say good-by to this sort of stuff. Definitely not appropriate for anyone, but especially not for kids.

k. said...

Meh. I don't think it's a big deal. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. I'm frankly more troubled by the previous comment by "FishHawk" asserting that they are the arbiter of what's appropriate and not appropriate for children.

deeds said...

Not appropriate for kids...My comments are addressed to Target rather than to parents, etc. who purchase...There are other ways to teach animal caring than to put a stuffed animal on a child's wall...Come on Target...You really can do better...

Carol Szafalowicz said...

I'm totally with you. I think this is horrible and sends a wrong message to
not only children but everyone. I'm not a fan of "hunting" animals and I think its
cruel and unfair.
I hope target stops selling these inappropriate stuffed heads.

ann said...

i have to agree with you, though trophy heads seldom bother me. They are creepy, as in, 'A zebra/bear/lion was killed for you, had its cute head cut off, and now it's on your wall!' Maybe if more of the body showed, they wouldn't be so remindful of taxiderm-ied dead heads for real. Also, they are vaguely decadent, as in, 'You have so much $$ to blow on your kids, so buy some useless, dust-collecting wall ornaments!'