Friday, September 11, 2015

Target to Drop Cherokee Brand...

Big changes are coming to the clothing racks at Target, with the retailer announcing that it won’t renew its 20-year contract with apparel brand Cherokee.

Consumerist reports that The Wall Street Journal just revealed that Target decided not to renew the current deal, which is set to expire on January 31, 2017, in order to make way for newer clothing labels, specifically in children’s apparel.

Cherokee is primarily found in the children’s department, but also sells brands like Liz Lange and Tony Hawk. For now, the company says it will continue to sell Liz Lange brand maternity clothing at Target. Products from the company accounted for an estimated $1.1 billion in retail sales for Target last year.

The WSJ reports that the move by Target not to renew the long-running contract is just another piece of the retailer’s transformation under new CEO Brian Cornell, who has put an emphasis on style and fashion at the big box store by creating limited time collaborations with big name designers. Other efforts have included a comprehensive review of the brands the chain is carrying and changes to appeal to Target’s new core customer that is younger and more diverse.

2 comments:

4DsfromLHP said...

That's disappointing news. I find a lot of cute things for my kids that are Cherokee. I hope it gets replaced with something good. I have not enjoyed most of the designer collaborations, unfortunately.

Paige said...

I, too, am disappointed! I have been buying Cherokee brand clothes for my kids for about 10 years. I can always count on finding cute, affordable pieces. I hope they replace it with something comparable. Or hopefully Walmart will pick up Cherokee and I'll go there to buy my kids clothes.