Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday's Rant: Target’s in-store coupons


Most Tuesdays I take the opportunity to rant about something I do not like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. Today’s rant is about Target’s puzzling in-store coupon strategy. With increased frequency, I have noticed that at the register, my Target receipt is accompanied by a coupon. The coupons are based on past purchases, so if I’ve bought Brawny paper towels in the past, I’m sure to get either a coupon for the same Brawny product OR for a similar product from Target’s in-house Up&Up brand.

The coupons aren’t the problem; I don’t mind them at all. What I do mind is this: the other day I used a coupon for $1 off 12 cans of Fancy Feast cat food. That was great, especially since Fancy Feast was also on sale at the time. So at the register, I get a coupon for 60-CENTS off my next purchase of 18 cans. ????? Did Target think I’d be fooled by this? Why reward my purchase with a lesser-amount coupon that you have to buy MORE of the product in order to redeem? Is there some sort of consumer behavior analytics going on here?

4 comments:

MH said...

Check out the new Liberty Pics on The Recessionista. What do you think?

Ryan said...

I keep getting coupons for Bananas and my Target doesn't even sell bananas. That's just bananas! (lol)

Target-Addict said...

Ryan, that's really crazy! You'd think they'd only give coupons for fresh produce at those stores that have a grocery section - ?

Lola said...

Giving you a worse deal on subsequent coupons seems to be standard with the Catalina coupons. Same thing happens at the supermarket - e.g. I buy sour cream, get a coupon for $.55 of my next sour cream. Buy the next one with the coupon, get a coupon for $.75 off like three sour creams. Then if I do use that one, I get a coupon for like, cottage cheese. I don't even eat cottage cheese. So disappointing.

Wow, I just wrote way too much about Catalina coupons.