Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday's Rant: longer return process at Target


Most Tuesdays I take the opportunity to rant about something I don't like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. Today’s rant is about the new - and longer - return process at Target, due to the fact that the Customer Service Associates are taking more time to double and even triple check that the item you're returning matches up to the receipt. And regardless of whether you even have a receipt, the Target Associates seem to be checking to make sure that the tag on the item matches up to item itself... for example, ensuring that the size 8 Mossimo skirt you're returning is indeed a size 8, and that the tags haven't been switched with a different size or brand.

On the one hand, I can understand this new policy. Target, like many other stores during the recession, has suffered more shrinkage (an industry term for "shoplifting") than ever before. I even heard two Target employees talking openly about the problem in the store the other day. But for honest customers (myself included) it can be a bit insulting to have the item you're bringing back scrutinized so carefully, as well as frustrating by the extra time it takes. I realized we're only talking an extra 1-2 minutes per person here, but when there's 6 people ahead of you in line, it all adds up.

4 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Unfortunately they cant just check the shady looking customers. You could be happy they do this to help keep prices low!

Unknown said...

It's a shame that a few can ruin it for the many.

Christine said...

My return person always seems annoyed when I return something...now I guess they're only doing their job, after reading your post.

She intimidates me, even though I don't feel I abuse the option.

Target Addict said...

Yeah, Suburban Princess, I hear ya. Maybe Target is just finally clamping down and copying Walmart's model. I very rarely shop at Walmart, but I've noticed that they that they scrutinize each return.