Monday, November 16, 2009

Flying off Target shelves...


You can file this post in the "I just don't get it!" department. Zhu Zhu Pets (shown) are proving to be one of the hottest toys this holiday season, so much so that Target and other big retailers can't keep them in stock. Target, in fact, is limiting them to four per customer, and some parents are resorting to Amazon.com, where the critters sell for at least twice the $8-to-$10 price.

Zhu Zhu Pets are dubbed "the world’s first innovative, realistic, interactive, plush, and artificially intelligent hamsters that talk and move around in their own playsets." Zhu Zhu Pets include two play modes: nurturing mode where the hamsters coo and purr, and adventure mode where the hamsters explore their habitat with intelligent audio and mechanical responses to various habitat stimuli. Of course, there's also over a dozen add-ons for sale to build an ever-evolving hamsterworld for your Zhu Zhu to explore.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I don't get it either. My mom picked up some of these awhile ago for kids for xmas after someone pointed out how inexpensive they were at Target vs. Amazon. I think she got caught up in the frenzie and bought a bunch. They remind me of another Furbie or something goofy like that. Fun until the novelty wears off. Maybe it's b/c I don't have kids :)

Lola said...

I had never even heard of these until I saw some of my Twitter friends participating in some sort of Zhu Zhu Pets-sponsored tweetathon. I think they're a little creepy :o/

Lucy in the Sky said...

I wasn't a kid too long ago, and I definitely would've been all over these guys! I'm not allowed to have furry pets at home, so toys that MIMIC pets are nice to have around!

Anonymous said...

those Zhu Zhu pets are cute, but they are a bit difficult to find for a decent price at this point in the shopping season