Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Marcel misses the mark...


A few weeks ago I blogged about the upcoming Marcel Wanders for Target houseware collection, and yesterday I saw an endcap in store featuring his merchandise. And all I can say is one big "meh....". Like the Falchi bags, Marcel's collection misses the mark and fails to impress. And in fact, for an artist who is supposedly so inventive and witty, I was really surprised at how boring and pedestrian his collection for Target turned out to be. Target only has a partial selection of his wares up on their website, but believe me, the only halfway interesting item is this set of dinner-bell placecard holders (which I could swear I saw in-store offered individually for $3 each vs. as a set of 4).

3 comments:

kbfenner said...

Yeah, where's the cool biomorphic stuff? This stuff looks like Martha Stewart for KMart, maybe.....

Lola said...

I've seen things for sale online in sets of 4 (or 6, or 8) that were sold individually in the store. It's probably to make the cost of shipping worthwhile - imagine having to ship just one place card holder, not worth it.

Target Addict said...

Hmmm....good point, Lola. Plus I guess that if you wanted (for example) the bell candle holders ALL in gold, you could buy 4 individual gold ones (vs. ordering the multi-colored set).