Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday's Rant: different Targets carrying different merchandise


Most Tuesdays I take the opportunity to rant about something I do not like about Target… because although I love ‘em to death, they ain’t perfect. Today's rant is about different Target stores carrying different merchandise. Sometimes this shows up in small ways, like one Target offering 6 colors of a Mossimo tank top whereas another store only has 2. And sometimes it's apparant when only select Targets offer Garden Center supplies, or certain Targets have a greater food and beverage selection than others. But what I don't get is when some Target stores flat out don't carry advertised designer lines. I first noticed this with Orla Kiely's houseware collection; only a couple of the Target stores in my area carried the line at all. Now with the current Loomstate for Target clothing collection, only one Target store I know of is carrying the women's line. None of the 3 stores I've been to is carrying the men's line (shown at left). Likewise, only the Target near my work is carrying the Ashley Paige swimwear line, and the spotty selection they have left has already been put on clearance!

I just don't get it; is Target simply ordering less merchandise so there's less to spread around in stores? Or are they trying to encourage us to shop the designer collections online from their website instead? Whatever the intent is, this trend by Target is annoying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing this out! I was trying to put together 8 Orla Keily mugs for my house but ended up just getting one for work for that very reason!
Can I suggest next Tuesdays rant- Sensory overload at Target. I'm not sure if the employees realize how irritating those walkies are on max volume

Unknown said...

What's up with that? I have taken notice of that too. I line in s. Cali in the Long Beach area, and have to shop at 3 different Target's for my food, cosmetics and clothes. I love'um too, but they got to get it together.

If you do'nt mind me asking, what Target's do you frequent??

Target Addict said...

Hi Jana. I'm in NorCal, so my "local haunts" are Redwood City, Los Altos, and Cupertino. I also love to "visit" new Targets while on vacation in different states, if time allows. Am I a geek or what? ;-)