Thursday, October 8, 2009

Issac gets the short end of the stick...


I almost cried last year when Isaac Mizrahi announced he was leaving Target. Then, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw his first designs for Liz Claiborne, and even more so after seeing the punchy new advertising for his line featured on the Bargain Bex blog a couple of weeks ago. But alas, today comes news that Liz Claiborne has reached an agreement to sell its namesake clothing brand and Claiborne-branded merchandise exclusively at J.C. Penney stores as part of a strategy to lift its wholesale brands to profitability in 2010. And, the company also announced that the Liz Claiborne New York brand designed by Isaac Mizrahi will be moved to the QVC home shopping network and out of department stores entirely. WTF?? Poor Isaac. I'm sure he didn't realize he'd be hawking his designs on TV when he inked his deal with Liz.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't cry too hard. QVC moves a lot of merch and Mizrahi will sell like crazy, a lot more than trying to sell stuff in empty department stores that don't stock all of the sizes you need anyway. It's a tough economy out there and you have to survive any way you can.

Pamela said...

I agree. Home shopping is really where it is. I've seen some pretty big named designers hawking diffusion type lines on QVC and HSN. But it is unfortunate that the line is being moved out of stores.

Target Addict said...

Thanks Becky and Pamela for weighing in. Am I "out of it"? Is QVC and HSN really where it's at?

Unknown said...

I haven't shopped on QVC in a LONG time. Actually it's been 16 yrs. I've switched more to internet shopping.

kbfenner said...

The best paid partner at a fancy law firm I used to work at bought her clothes on QVC. Check it out. She looked sharp, if a bit trendy.

Unknown said...

I've bought a lot of clothes from QVC and a few from HSN. There are some lines better than others but you can get find great stuff, mostly at reasonable prices and at a broad range of sizes, from 0 to 3X. Lucky Magazine's Lucky Shops just got designers like Rebecca Taylor, Shoshanna, and Kooba to design exclusives for HSN. I've bought Michael Kors bags and Sam Edelman shoes from QVC. A lot of big name cosmetic companies sell on the t.v. shopping networks too. Shop NBC just started selling clothes but its strong suits are electronics, jewelry, watches, and stuff like that.

Unknown said...

Isaac already has a deal with QVC anyway. He's selling designer cheesecakes or something.

mommydearest said...

-->I saw that? Are people really going to buy IM cheesecakes on TV?!

The Target experience is NOT the same without Isaac. On the upside, Merona is doing some new things and I've bought a few. But I really liked what IM had! :(

Unknown said...

WOW_-that is a change. I guess John Bartlett and Tim Gunn will go on QVC too. I can't wait to see this--and JC Penney, I would what the quality will be like.