Friday, January 25, 2019

My Review: Honest Beauty Lash Primer & Mascara

Back in 2016, I reviewed a couple of Honest Beauty products in anticipation of Target eventually carrying them (which they started to in March of 2017).  Since then, I've always meant to to go back and review the brand's Extreme Length Lash Primer & Mascara, and I finally got to do so this week.

I recall that every time I went to try this mascara, it was sold out on Target's website. And I don't think it was widely available in stores until the brand relaunched last summer with all-white packaging. I'm not sure if the formulation of the product changed from the original, but the current offering is highly rated on Target's website. Unfortunately, I had a different POV. 

It's not that the product is bad. It's just that it's 'meh' - nothing special. To me, it was your standard mascara/primer in one. And for dual products, it falls short of comparable products I've tried like L'oreal's Double Extend Mascara. Of course, part of the allure of Honest Beauty's version is that it's formaldehyde-free, phthalate-free, propylparaben-free, butylparaben-free, formaldehyde donor-free, nonylphenol ethoxylate free, and not tested on animals. So if you have sensitive eyes or allergies, it's worth a try; I just wasn't overly impressed by it. For me, it just didn't do much to lengthen or maximize my lashes. 

As an aside: I'm wondering if Honest Beauty might be leaving Target - ? This crossed my mind because Target.com (as well as stores) seems to be out of many of this brand's products, and I see they are now available for sale in their own shop on Amazon, in addition to the Honest Beauty website. 

7 comments:

JCH said...

I’m hearing that Honest Beauty will have a diminished presence. Watch for the third quarter debut of new brand Pop Dot (stylized as ”popdot.”), which will be a cross-category makeup/beauty/bath/accessories line.

Target Addict said...

Thanks for the insight, JCH! Question for you: do you know anything about Who What Wear? The brand has now disappeared from 2 of my local stores; except for showing up on the clearance rack, they don't have dedicated retail floor space anymore. Is Target dialing back that brand, too, or are we just in between seasons?

JCH said...

I hear that WWW is being greatly reduced as a lead-up to being discontinued in 3rd quarter. While it is part of Target’s owned brands, there are licensing fees involved (which can be hefty), even though it’s designed in-house. Look for more co-branding within Target’s owned brands this fall and in 2020 - e.g.: “Nate Berkus for Project 62” and guest fashion designers and style bloggers being “folded into” already existing owned brands with limited run capsule collections. Also hearing about a “Good & Gather” grocery line, possibly with an emphasis on the ubiquitous meal kit trend.

Target Addict said...

Thanks for the scoop, JCH! I'm sorry to hear that, as WWW was one line where I bought at least a couple of pieces per season. I find A.N.D. to be hit or miss, along with Universal Thread. Wild Fable and Knox Rose skew too "young" for me, and I don't care for the styling and fit of Prologue.

JCH said...

I think not renewing/extending the WWW brand is a mistake, much like I did when they d/c’d the Nate Berkus lines. One of my messages has been that consumers really want and respond to a moderately priced designer branding “experience” - it elevates the product, especially when fully merchandised at POS with signage, fixturing, etc. Having said that, I was surprised that AND has already surpassed the billion dollar mark. You’re not alone in your feelings about the other apparel lines. I miss the whole designer collaboration, especially when done cross-category; Target is keeping their future collaboration plans very much under wraps.

Ile said...

Well done

Jessica said...

Very good review about the mascara primer online.