Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Target Under Fire for "OCD" Sweater...

Uh oh.... looks like Target's in hot water again over another controversial slogan on their clothing (similar to this t-shirt snafu I told you about back in July). This time it's over a holiday sweater that reads: “OCD: Obsessive Christmas Disorder.”

According to BusinessInsider, the story was first spotted on Adweek, which points out that Target isn’t the only retailer selling goods with the slogan this season. However, given the size of Target, it appears to be the company that has drawn the most ire by stocking the item.

Target says it has no plans to de-list the item, although Twitter users have been complaining about the sweater and have asked Target remove the product from its stores and online. The retailer has responded on Twitter to some of the criticism, telling users it is sharing their comments with its merchandise team and adding that it is never the company’s intention to offend.

Target replied to Business Insider with the following statement: “We never want to disappoint our guests and we apologize for any discomfort. We currently do not have plans to remove this sweater.”

6 comments:

Shopgirl888 said...

Ugh. What is the world coming to. Get over it people. Maybe if I were more OCD than I already am I'd be offended. Now, what Target Really needs is a shirt that reads OTD for Obsessive TARGET Disorder. Which I Majorly have. Seriously. But what really scares me is the lack of tolerance that goes on in this country. What happened to free speech? ***FREE SPEECH***. What a novel concept. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Hate it? Stay out of the graphic T-Shirt department. End of discussion.

Shopgirl888 said...

Sorry if my previous rant came out a bit gruff (slightly sheepish expression).

Target Addict said...

Shopgirl888, I'm totally with you here. People are just waaaaayyyy too sensitive, and need to get a sense of humor. I'm actually glad that Target stood its ground and isn't removing the sweater from stores or its website.

Japolina said...

I seriously think that stores may be starting these "controversies" themselves for publicity. They probably sold out of the sweater by now. I think that it is all so silly!

Barbara said...

It certainly doesn't bother me, and I am pretty OCD myself, even though I do not have a diagnosis! Get a grip people, aren't there a lot more serious things to get upset about? For me there are.

Kelly said...

when i saw it in the store, i immediately thought, " I wonder how they can get away with that." Well, it seems they can't without much ado.
People are offended about everything these days...