Friday, September 13, 2019

Target's 20th Anniversary Collection drops tomorrow; are you ready??

With much fanfare, around 300 retrospective pieces are returning from Target’s archives for the 20th Anniversary Collection that launches this Saturday. So what can you expect tomorrow? Well according to Vox, there will be “Black Friday level” excitement for this launch. I'll assume that the Missoni offerings in particular (pictured here) will be a sellout.

Now the fine print... the Anniversary Collection will be available at all Target stores and on Target.com beginning Sept. 14, while supplies last. Designer collections and items will vary by store and purchases are limited to 5 identical items (same size and color). Prices range from $7 to $160 and will be offered in sizes XS-3X for women, S-XXL for men, XS-XL for kids and 0-3M-5T for toddlers and babies.

The designs featured in the Anniversary Collection are listed below along with the years their collabs were released:

Michael Graves (1999-2013)
Philippe Starck (2002)
Stephen Sprouse (2002)
Isaac Mizrahi (2003-2009)
Erin Fetherston (2007)
Proenza Schouler (2007)
Thakoon (2008)
John Derian (2008, 2010)
Anna Sui (2009)
Rodarte (2009)
Stephen Burrows (2010)
Zac Posen (2010)
Harajuku Mini (2011-2012)
Missoni (2011)
Jason Wu (2012)
Philip Lim (2013)
Altuzarra (2014)
Lilly Pulitzer (2015)
Mariemekko (2016)
Hunter (2018)

What's your plan, readers? Will you stay up into the wee hours to buy these items on Target.com (fingers crossed their site doesn't crash!) or try to brave the potential lines at stores?  I for one will be sitting this one out. I still have some of my Missoni items, including the candle shown above, zigzag print wine glasses and coffee mug, and outside of a few stray items by the designers listed above, there isn't anything I want bad enough to battle the crowds for. 

8 comments:

aly cat said...

I visited two Target locations today in the Bay Area (Colma and downtown) and there was tons of Missoni stuff leftover. I think they really overstocked expecting a sellout. I ordered the items I really wanted online at midnight but I wanted to check out a few things in person. The five limit doesn’t help for items that they’re already super limited on. One woman snatched up all of the Erin Fetherson heart bags and someone else bought the bulk of the Jason Wu cat totes they had. I ordered my red heart bag online but I was considering buying the tan in store. You can tell people are buying to resell and are buying the max of bags particular. I really think Target should limit you to two which allows one for yourself and one as a gift. Some of the items looked lower quality than before like the Lily P dresses and scarves, and the Issac M wool pink coat felt scratchy and cheap.

Missy said...

I am in Phoenix with my husband at a conference. I visited 2 Scottsdale stores. I purchased 3 Lily dress, One Missoni sweater and the Anna Sui dress. I was able to purchase a lot of things online except the Missoni espresso cups. It was sold out online and not in either store this morning, I ordered the Lilly cups online instead. I am now on the hunt for plus size return on the dresses and cardigans....lol.

Kate said...

agree with the poster above
some of the Lim black bags for sale on Poshmark and the seller doesn't have them yet

but I guess T doesn't care as long as they get sold
with a 2 week return window the re-sellers might get stuck with them anyway and lowwer than expected profits

Amy From CO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy From CO said...

I wasn't paying attention to this retrospective sale (even though I've been a long-time collab lover), and wandered into our local Target yesterday - saw the Missoni espresso cups and can now say, after a eight year wait, I sipped my coffee from a cup today! (also grabbed a sweater, a Lilly dress (or two) and the Anna Sui black dress I couldn't walk away from. There was not a crowd, but as I was standing there - some pretty intense ladies wandered up. Looked like the Lilly homegoods stuff was going first.

Target Addict said...

Aly Cat: I agree that some of the items seemed of lower quality this time. For instance: the winter knit scarves in the original Missoni launch had wool in them, whereas this time they are acrylic.
And Amy From CO: glad you finally got your espresso cups!

Target Addict said...

As for me....my BFF braved her local store early, and got me the Jason Wu cat tote I've been wanting for years!
And later in the morning on Saturday, I visited an "off the radar" Target store where I was able to get the Missoni winter knit scarf and the Lilly P. dinner napkins. Other than that, there wasn't anything I saw I really wanted.

Mary Hall said...

If you missed getting some of the items you wanted, check the returns coming back into Target stores and on-line. There's a fare amount of returns, so there's still time to get some of the items you might want. http://therecessionista.com/returns-of-target-20th-anniversary-collection-are-in-stores/