Friday, June 5, 2015

Coming Soon to Target: Self Checkout

Yesterday I noticed in horror (as I'm not a fan of the concept) 4 new "self checkout" lanes being installed at my local Target. Now after doing a little digging online, I found out that "self checkouts" at Target aren't anything new; they actually debuted them a while ago in some areas (close to their Minneapolis headquarters) and then launched a "new and improved" self checkout system last August. But this is the first time I had ever seen them at a store in Northern California.

I also found some online forums with very lively discussions on how well they do - or don't - work. There were arguments on whether they take coupons; some folks said they did, and others said they only took certain coupons. And allegedly if you are trying to purchase one of Target's "BOGO" deals (which they seem to run all the time) the register won't recognize it and you'll need to call over a clerk to help you.

Most distressing to me is the fact that these new self checkout lanes are taking the place of the former "express lanes" (for 10 items or less) at my local store, meaning we'll no longer have express lanes. I just think this is a bad idea all the way around. What do you think, readers? Are you a fan of "self checkout" lanes, and if so, do you think they're a good idea at Target?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan at all! I find they take longer than regular checkout cause the person in front of you is always so slowwwww!

meresu said...

I only use the one at my local Wal-mart I find it faster because there is always one open and there are fewer distractions for the kids because they are so focused on the machine. That being said I probably wouldn't use one at Target for the reasons you mentioned plus I use cartwheel and mobile coupons too. Luckily I don't need to worry because I haven't seen them in Colorado yet.

Barbara said...

Not a fan of self check out, as almost every time I have used one, there is a problem of some kind and then I have to wait for a person to come and fix it. So I most likely will not even try one at Target. Haven't seen them yet at the Targets I frequent in Texas, at least in Austin.

Music said...

I use self-checkout all the time at Ralph's. I even use it at Home Depot, which is the system that gives me the most problems out of all of them. So I probably would use it at Target. HOWEVER, it should NOT replace the express checkout! The express checkout is what saves me half the time at the Targets in Los Angeles. They should be like Ralph's where you still have express and the self-checkout is just added on. In fact, I very rarely see all the registers staffed, let alone half of them. So they should take away a couple of regular registers to add the self-checkout. The express option needs to stay.

debbies said...

I never use self checkout simply bc if something does go wrong, it seems like people are always waiting on a person to come "fix" it.

Critifur said...

No, It's just another way of trying to not pay a person to do the work.

laurenh said...

They tried them in Emeryville a year or two ago along with another complicated system of 3 'lines' with overhead signs signaling what register to go to. They were gone in a couple months.