Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Guilty plea in Target cart assault

In an update to my post earlier this month: one of the 12-year-old boys who recklessly pushed a shopping cart over a rail at the East Harlem Plaza Target in October has plead guilty to the assault. According to Racked.com, the boy's name is being withheld due to his age, and he is currently in ACS custody. He provided a brief statement in court, via DNAinfo: "Uh, I helped throw the shopping cart over it and I knew the people was down there. I knew somebody could have got hurt." He is currently facing facing up to 18 months in a juvenile detention center for second-degree assault, but the sentence could be extended indefinitely until he reaches the age of 18.

The other boy involved did not plead guilty; his case was adjourned, and his attorney said, "We want to continue having conversations with the [the boy's family] about potential resolution." The victim of the attack, UWS philanthropist Marion Salmon Hedges, who was there with her son buying Halloween candy for underprivileged children, is reportedly stable but still unconscious.

1 comment:

mommydearest said...

This is reprehensible. The world is a terribly depressing place sometimes...