Friday, March 1, 2019

Target Announces Collab With Vineyard Vines

Yesterday it was announced that Target will launch a new collab this Spring with the purveyor of preppy, Vineyard Vines.

Vineyard Vines was founded more than 20 years ago by brothers Shep and Ian Murray. Inspired by their summers spent boating in Martha’s Vineyard, the duo dreamed up a colorful clothing brand marked by their now-iconic little whale logo. "Our goal has always been to be a cross between Warren Buffett and Jimmy Buffett," the brothers have said of Vineyard Vines, which began with ties and now features an extensive assortment of classic prep staples like button-down shirts and khakis as well as denim, dresses, hats, and other accessories. Gingham, stripes, and florals are popular patterns.

The Target x Vineyard Vines collection, which will debut on May 18th, will include more than 300 pieces and span categories like home, clothing, accessories, even pets. There will be whale-embellished clothing for man, woman, child and dog. Sizes will range from XS to 3X for women, and prices start at $2 and max out at $120.

Now a couple of friends texted me about this yesterday, but I didn't feel inclined to blog about it immediately because to me, this collab is kind of a big "meh". I'm not a huge fan of Vineyard Vines in the first place; to me, they're an overpriced version of J Crew or Ralph Lauren. Also, in thinking back on Target's last couple of designer collabs, they've been hit or miss at best. Last year's collab was with Hunter, with the misfortune of having to halt release of the women's rain boots - the crown jewel of the collection - due to poor quality. And the year before that, Target's collab with Victoria Beckham certainly wasn't the sellout they had hoped for. All this leads me to believe that Target has lost their edge when it comes to these partnerships, so I don't have a lot of faith that this newest collab will deliver. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong on this one!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I am excited for this one! I am a sucker for cute and preppy animal logos, I think this one will be super popular. Now if Target would do a colab. with Lululemon....

JCH said...

This particular collaboration isn’t really registering on my radar. Too safe, common, expected - not exactly the “designer experience” that I’ve long espoused, and is part of Target’s DNA. I hoping for a “name” designer collaboration for Fall or Holiday. A curiously named multi-category new home brand called “More Than Magic” is expected in the third quarter (I haven’t seen sketches or any prototypes). Also still expecting a major push in grocery in third quarter with new “Good & Gather” brand, details have really been clamped down.

Target Addict said...

@JCH: I feel the same. I wish Target had announced a collab with a true "designer" vs. just a mainstream mall brand. On the plus side (no pun intended) it looks like the VV collab will include plus sizes, which is nice as I understand VV's regular line doesn't go up to plus sizes.