Monday, September 7, 2009

Target merchandise at Goodwill


I have been hearing for years that when Target pulls their clearance merchandise from the sales floor, it is donated to Goodwill Industries, who then re-sells it at their local stores. But to be honest, I had never actually seen proof of this at any of my local Goodwills until yesterday, when I visited a store "off the beaten path" from my usual haunts.

Now this store must definitely be one of "the ones" that Target donates its castoffs to, because not only did I see an entire rack (at least 8-10) of these hideous Tracy Feith maxi dresses (shown) but I also saw a whole shelf of brand new Circo baby socks (which - opposite of the Feith dress - were really cute!). I also saw various Merona, Xhilaration and Mossimo pieces here and there (NWT) but nothing in bulk.

One caveat to shopping Target at Goodwill: in some cases the lowest Target price is less than what Goodwill sells it for. Not always, but sometimes. Case in point: I know I saw these Feith maxi dresses marked as low as $9.99 on clearance at Target, yet Goodwill was selling them for $12 each. Which is fine by me, seeing that the $$ goes to Goodwill. You just shouldn't be expecting THE lowest possible price once the item hits Goodwill's racks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, thanks for the info! And that dress is so ugly! :)

The Maven said...

Hush!!! Don't let the rest of the world know my shopping secret!

Pricing at Goodwill varies by location. For example, all dresses at my Goodwill are $7.99. I have become real good friends with the staff at my Goodwill so I know the Target donation schedule. I have scored some amazing pieces from the Merona Collection. I love Goodwill!!