Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Product Review: Maybelline Master Smoky Eyeliner

The big fat Fall issue of InStyle Magazine had a "Best Beauty Buys" page, in which Maybelline's Master Smoky Eyeliner was touted as a "pro secret cheapie", boasting "this eyeliner makes creating a smoky eye super-simple". Of course, I just had to try it, so I picked one up at my local Target store.

The product packaging promises "long lasting smoky eyes in two simple steps" - those being "1) draw a thick line, and 2) blend with smudger". The pencil end glides well and goes on smoothly without having to exert too much pressure. The color I picked - Smoldering Violet - was a pretty purple and looked very close to the shade shown on the packaging, so no surprises there. Then I popped off the cap to the smudge applicator and began smudging the eyeliner... which resulted in basically erasing the entire line into my skin.  The result was what I would expect my eyeliner to look after a full day of wear, when my makeup is almost all worn off.  It didn't look "done" at all, and the color was almost non-existent. It looked just like a muddy smudge on my eyelid, as if I tested a product and then wiped it off with a tissue.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed in this product. I'll still use the eyeliner part, but with a brush instead (FYI, Sonia Kashuk makes a great smudge brush for just $4.99) and I'll ditch the foam smudge applicator.

No comments: